Look After Children, Elderly and Pets
Weather data being monitored by the Passaic County Office of Emergency Management suggests that this weekend will be one of the hottest weekends of the summer, so far.
Plenty of sunshine and temperatures well into the 90s are expected both Saturday and Sunday, with little chance of any rain shower activity.
Please make sure to take special care of small children, elderly residents, and animals/pets, all of who need to stay hydrated during these excessive heat related events. Also, check on neighbors who may need assistance.
During as extreme heat situation, residents are urged to:
- Avoid strenuous activities.
- Wear light clothing.
- Check on family members and neighbors.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Watch for heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- Never leave people or pets in a closed car.
You can prepare now to keep your home cool:
- Cover windows with drapes or shades.
- Weather-strip doors and windows.
- Use window reflectors, such as aluminum foil-covered cardboard, to reflect heat back outside.
- Add insulation to keep the heat out.
- Use attic fans to clear hot air.
- Install window air conditioners and insulate around them.