Additional Architectural Description
A two story, two bay, side-gabled main block (1837) is centered between two wings, a one story, one bay, side-gabled frame wing on the south; and a one story, steeply pitched side-gabled wing of stone (1697) on the east. The roofs are clad with wood shingles, and the main block features interior chimneys at the west end. The primary entrance is in the left bay of the main block. A split-rail fence surrounds the property.
Boundary Description & Related Structures
The Bartholf Homestead faces north toward Broadway. To the east is Fairview, to the south is Lakeside Avenue; to the west is 20th century residential development.
The Bartholf Homestead is the oldest dwelling in Pompton Lakes. The original block was constructed of stone in 1697 on land deeded to the Bartholfs by the English crown. This block may have served as the first Post Office in the Pompton area.
The House remained in the Bartholf family until circa 1950, when it was sold following the death of Annie Bartholf Moffatt.
The Bartholf Homestead is believed to have served as a campsite for soldiers of Washington's army during the Revolutionary War. According to Ethel Vreeland's history of Pompton Lakes, Mrs. Moffat donated two Officer's Manuals, found in the house, to the Pompton Lakes Women's Club.