Health Department / Vital Statistics
One of the main functions of the Health Department is to prevent the premature onset of disease and disability, and to help all residents achieve healthier, more productive lives. The Health Department is committed to maintaining, protecting, and promoting the health of its residents through organized health promotion and disease prevention efforts. These efforts are based on state-wide standards set forth by New Jersey's Department of Health.
Clinics & Programs
The Health Department continues to offer a variety of clinics and programs to our residents designed to promote and maintain good health. Some of the clinics/programs offered during the year include
- Annual Health Fair
- Blood Pressure Screenings offered to St. Mary's seniors on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and Golden Agers on the 3rd Thursday of the month
- Child Health Conferences
- Dental Clinics, held at the Wayne Health Department
- Flu clinics
- Male and Female Cancer Screenings
- SMAC Blood Chemistry Screenings twice a year*
* Please note that the Borough of Pompton Lakes has partnered with Wayne Township to conduct 2023 SMAC Blood Chemistry Screenings. For more information, please contact the Wayne Health Department at (973) 694-1800 ext. 3281.
Many resources are available to residents who are living on a limited income and for those caring for aging parents.
Public Health Nurse
The Public Health Nurse holds regularly scheduled office hours on Mondays from 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm. The nurse administers inoculations including adult vaccinations such as shingles, flu and pneumonia. Blood pressure screenings are also available during those hours.
** The Nurse is available for flu shots on Mondays from 2:45 - 4:30 PM. **
The Registered Environmental Health Specialist inspects all retail food establishments. In addition to food inspections the REHS inspects public swimming pools, youth camps, septic systems, and investigates public health nuisance complaints.
Additional Clinic Information
Please check the Borough's website and PLTV Channel 77 for dates, times and additional information regarding clinics and programs.