Building Department

The following are projects, which are frequently questioned, require zoning and/or construction permits:

  • Decks
  • Dumpsters (per Ordinance 13-21)
  • Electrical work
  • Fences
  • All pools over 24" deep (above ground, in-ground, inflatable/temporary, etc.) Swimming Pool Guidance
  • Hot tubs
  • Water heaters
  • Kitchen and bathroom renovations
  • Plumbing work
  • Driveways
  • Sheds
  • Siding
  • Steps
  • Storage containers (per Ordinance 13-21)
  • Tank removal and abandonment
**This is not a complete list. It is the property owner's responsibility to confirm any permit requirements with the Building Department.**


Construction permits are required for all interior and exterior construction work on all structures. Homeowners should contact the Building Department for information regarding obtaining a permit prior to starting the project.

Download Construction Permit Applications

Zoning permits are required for any exterior projects which will add/change/expand primary or accessory structures. Zoning applications must include a property survey that accurately reflects the current state of the property. All surveys must be to scale, so copies should be the exact same size as the original survey to allow for accurate measurements and review. 

Download the 
Residential Zoning Application


Inspections require 24 hour notice.

Continued Certificate of Occupancy

Continued certificate of Occupancy (CCO) are required for the resale of residential homes and businesses as well as for change of tenancy. Forms may be obtained at the Building Department and appointments must be scheduled for the CCO Inspector to perform inspections. Please allow three weeks to complete the process.
Residential CCO Application

Foreclosure Property and Vacant Property Registration Program

The Borough of Pompton Lakes has partnered with to administer its Foreclosure Property and Vacant Property registration program.  In order to comply with the Foreclosure and Vacant Property registration ordinance, all Owners/Mortgagees/Trustees must register online via and pay a registration fee.

Register with

Call Before You Dig

New Jersey One Call 811 know what's below call before you dig. You can also call 800-272-1000 to locate underground utilities

Digging, Drilling, or Blasting

If you are going to dig, blast, or drill, three (3) working days notice is needed.

Community Rating System (CRS)

Elevation certificates for many Borough buildings located in the flood plain are on file in the Building Department.

FEMA Flood Map Service Center- Search All Products:

To access 2020 Flood Maps, follow the link below, search by state/ county/ municipality.    

Flood Insurance Risk Map(s) (FIRM)