The Pompton Lakes Volunteer Fire Department is made up of a 100% volunteer force, approximately than 65 Firefighters in total. The Fire Department is comprised of two engine companies, one hook and ladder company and one rescue company all housed in the same quarters.
The department was organized in 1895, and incorporated by Pompton Lakes in 1901. The firehouse's original location was at 300 Wanaque Avenue, where the present MaCk's American Bar and Grill is located. The department moved to new quarters at 1 Passaic Avenue in 1979.
The Department responds to all types of emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in the Borough of Pompton Lakes and assists neighboring towns through an established County-wide Mutual Aid Agreement when called upon. In addition, the Fire Department is truly part of the community - assisting at many community, organizational and sporting events.
Fire Prevention Bureau
In 1962, a Fire Prevention Bureau was started to provide fire prevention education and to inspect buildings that are accessible to the public either as multi-housing, commercial or retail developments.
It is important to know that ALL inspection fees collected by the Fire Inspectors for commercial, retail and multi-occupancy housing and real estate transactions do not go to the volunteer department operations but directly to the municipality and State of NJ.
To find out more about the Borough's Fire Department and to consider joining as a volunteer, visit their website here.